After Steve appeared on OWN I had to wait two days before my copy was available on my iPad Nook reader. It was 3am when my iPad chimed to let me know that the book was ready to read on my device.
Once I started reading I said to myself: “This will be the last success self-help book that I purchase in my lifetime.” Why? Well, It felt that Steve was speaking directly to me throughout most of the book.
|Steve Harvey / Oprah Winfrey|
What about you? Are you on track of where you want to be? If not, I suggest you figure out how to get on the right track and Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success will help guide you on your journey.
Steve pulls from his personal life experience as well as others who have their own success stories. For example, he referenced Jordan Belfort the author of the book that mirrored the movie The Wolf of Wall Street – “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” Steve took that quote to the next level and came back with, “Excuses are the lies you convince yourself are true to avoid proving you are worthy of the gift you were given. … NO MORE EXCUSES.”
That last passage reminded me of the time I was pledging for Zeta Phi Beta. Whenever one of our line sisters would make an excuse our Big Brother would always make us repeat the following after him:
“Excuses. Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothing. And those who use them seldom accomplishes anything. Excuses.”
That was almost 20 years ago and I still can recite it as if I was a pledge.
Nevertheless, I have every excuse in the book why I am not where I am supposed to be in my career, my life and my spiritually journey. All of those excuses I believe are 100 percent valid. But I am only fooling myself.
What about you? Are you fooling that person staring back at you in the mirror? Are you ready to stop making excuses? Are you ready to take the steps out of the pile of bullshit?”
I do not want to mess it up for those of you who have yet to read the book but I am telling you Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success is a must read. Here are several takeaways that personally spoke to me.
- “Sit up, speak up with boldness abut what you know …”
- “…successful people understand that failure is part of the process.”
- “… failure is such a HUGE part of succeeding.”
- “Release yourself from excuses and limitations.”
- “… you have to learn the laws of attraction to draw the right people to you.”
- “Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions.”
- “Get back to that space of being like a kid and let your heart and desires guide your vision.”
- “God has already lined up all the people in your path to get you to your dreams and your visions, all you have to do is get rid of the wrong ones.”
- “You want people who can propel your vision. … You want to have people with you who can aid you on your journey.”
- “You cannot share your dream and vision with everyone.”
- “… don’t let those people talk you out of being who you are. You gotta stay true to you.”
- “… make the choice everyday not to let anyone’s negativity stop me from fully operating my God-given gift.”
- There are four kind of haters. Get the book and figure out which one you need to get rid of.
- Create a VisionBoard!
- “Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with.” - Billy Dee Williams in the 1975 film Mahogany. (I’ve heard this quote for almost all my adult life…and I believe that that love will come at just the right time.)
- “Don’t allow anyone to just come up in your house and violate the peace and serenity that you have created for you and your family.”
- “To much is given, much will be required.” – Can I get an amen? Amen! Amen.
- “Become one of those people who are willing to share, educate, gift, help inspire, lead and push. Afterward, watch to see what comes your way.”
To see more of what’s trending from Steve Harvey’s New York Times Advice Bestseller head to twitter and search the hashtag #IAmSuccess. And if you’re ready to start or continue your journey on the road to success I advise you to get the book, read the book, take notes and share your goose bump moments on social media. Share your thoughts and videos of your success to @ActLikeASuccess, with the hashtag #IAmSuccess on Instagram and Twitter.
What did you think about the book? Your responses are welcomed in the comment box below or you can e-mail your comments to email@example.com or tweet me @TCsViews